Library Orientation 6.0



This marks the beginning of my sixth year at The Skokie School Resource Center, and my 33rd year as an educator. I have experimented with various methods to introduce students to our library and its resources, including scavenger hunts with maps, orientations, and slide presentations. I wanted to try something new, exciting, and fun this year. Inspired by articles from other educators and librarians, I decided to focus on key spaces and areas to help students become independent and empowered learners.
My AMAZING associate and I identified 16 different spaces to highlight, many of which have subcategories. For example, our fiction section is extensive and has special organizational methods we want students to understand. The non-fiction section is also large, so we aimed to highlight popular areas for students. We created a spreadsheet to organize these spaces and wrote notes for the audio recordings linked to QR codes. The QR codes were placed around the library for students to scan and listen to audio messages introducing each area.  HERE is the Canva template if you would like to customize it for your space.
In addition to the audio messages, we included clues for a word scramble. Each space provides a letter for the student's recording sheet. Once they visit all 16 stations, they can decipher the code phrase. A wonderful colleague gifted me a pen for my lanyard that read: Carpe Librum, meaning seize the book. Because I needed more 'characters' for the number of spaces, I created a simple three-word phrase that includes Carpe Librum Now for the scavenger hunt.  It literally means Seize the Book Now!



I used Vocaroo, an app recommended by my good friend Wendy Garland, to record audio and create QR codes efficiently. Vocaroo simplifies the process by allowing quick recording and QR code generation in one step. This method saved me significantly more time than my initial plan, which included recording the audio, loading it to Google Drive, exporting it to a QR Code generator, and uploading it to the spreadsheet again.

I formed random groups of two or three students to implement the scavenger hunt. One student handled the iPad while another used a clipboard and recording sheet. Each group started at a designated QR code station and explored in any order, ensuring only one group per station at a time. After completing the scavenger hunt, we discussed their feedback and the meaning of the discovered words. 

Does this make you want to try something new in your library? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts